Monday, March 15, 2010

There's a first time for everything

We had a few important "firsts" this week...
1. Abby rode on a plane!
2. I had a child sleep on a plane!!
3. Abby played in her exersaucer!

Abby & I traveled to NC on Friday for my grandfather (Gregg's) memorial service. Abby was an angel on the plane, and though my arm was numb where I was holding her, and I looked like a fool trying to turn pages in my US Weekly with one hand, it was worth it! It was heaven having a kid nap on a plane for the first time. Nate has never quite mastered that skill, though we've only flown a handful of times (8-10 maybe?) Abby must take after her Daddy and can sleep anywhere. I LOVE THAT.



We got to my parents' house Friday evening and were greeted by the whole fam - including Deedee! She was estatic to see her great-granddaughter for the first time, though it was for a sad occasion. Please look at Deedee's face...precious!

Poor Abby had some MAJOR spitup on Nana that night (formula did NOT agree with her tummy), but all in all was a great baby all day and I was impressed with my little traveler. Here she is asleep on Nana during dinner. It was a loooong day!

Four generations with Deedee

Proud Great-Grandma, Deedee

Abby having a "hallelujah" moment with Aunt Becky

Working on Gregg's memory board for the service

Abby liked the jumpster Nana borrowed from a friend! We need to get one like this...with the toy bar on top. Abby was mesmorized by it!

Saturday, we had the memorial service for Gregg at the chapel in the nursing home where he & Deedee live. There was quite a turnout, and I know it meant a lot to my dad and Deedee that so many friends & family came to help us celebrate Gregg's life. He was a wonderful man, father, husband, grandfather, and great-grandfather and I was blessed to know him. I have never been more proud of my Dad, as he had to deliver the eulogy and I cannot even imagine how hard that was. He was unbelievable and I admire him so much for doing that. The one thing that struck me as different people kept getting up and talking about Gregg, was how everyone was saying the same thing - in their own way of course. The common theme was how kind, generous, and patient Gregg was. And I realized those 3 things describe MY father to a tee as well. So, I know that Gregg's wonderful spirit will live on thru his son/my dad. And I know nothing would make Gregg happier.

Gibbs girls with relatives: Andy Berly and Julie & Bill Ervin


Posing with Poppy after the memorial service

Nana is in love with her new gas logs, and Abby liked them too...so cozy!


It was good to see family & friends over the weekend, even though it was a quick visit. I got to stray from my diet a bit (!) and eat three of my favorite foods - pizza, cupcakes, & Mi Pueblo! :) Abby entertained everyone with her smiling and cooing all weekend. She also has taken a liking to Bec's fiance, Uncle Mike. She kept trying to flirt and smile at him during Gregg's service! She has two new obsessions these days - ceiling fans and her hands. If I turn the fan on in her room during a nap, she will NOT nap. She just lays there, completely mesmorized. And as for her hands...they are constantly in her mouth now, or she is waving her arms around wildly. She definitely just seems more aware of them these days, and it's so cute to watch!

We also put her in her exersaucer for the first time yesterday. And, surprisingly, her feet touched the bottom! She hasn't quiet learned to spin around yet, but I'm just happy we've found another "toy" where she can stand up and look around. That's when she's her happiest.



Other pics from the past week:

Our neighbor, Mal Mal, reading to Abby (and no, this picture was not posed! Mallory is too cute and sooo in love with Abby!)

Playing one of Nate's favorite games, "Helicopter," with Dad. This makes me nervous!

Our family loves a good hoodie...

Nate showing off his completed Mr. Potato Head like it's a trophy! (PS This was a CHRISTMAS present that I just got out the other day. Yes, I still have 2009 Christmas presents hidden. He got so many that I hid some and bring a new one out every few weeks!!)

5 comments:

Hallie Madewell said...

Great post! Glad she was so good!
I love the picture of Abby and DeeDee, so precious!
OH .. I have a jumpy like that one if you want to borrow it!

Leah said...

hahaha. I have a picture of Colin on the plane where I made him sit in the seat by himself too. It looks so funny b/c he was just starting to sit up by himself and so he is leaning on the arm rest a little too!

The Overstreets said...

The picture of Abby by herself in the airplane cracks me up! She looks like "Where are you going?" Too cute! That jumper is just like Will's - sweet Abby is welcome to use it!

beth gibbs said...

I love the picture of Mallory and Abby reading. Looks like Abby is really into that book. Going to need to enlarge the one of DeDE and ABby, that is a real KEEPER. Beautiful comments about your Father and Grandfather. LUV YU!

KelseyMoore said...

Emily - this is totally random, but something you will get a kick out of! We (Bojangles') just hired a new ad agency last week, and guess who is our account manager - Barrett Pack! At the first pitch meeting he was like I think I know you & I said yes we went to high school together, I was a lowly freshman and your brother dated a friend of mine. Hilarious. It is such a small world!!