My water broke at 10:40 pm on Monday night the 9th at home and I was in shock b/c it was a full MONTH before my due date. Contractions weren’t bad, so I calmly fixed my hair, finished packing my bag, and called a neighbor to watch Nate. Once we got in the van to drive to the hospital, the contractions worsened quickly, and got to be about 4 minutes apart (dear Lord) and Greg & I were both freaking out. However, the two main things I remember about our 15 minute ride were: 1) How FAST Greg was driving and 2) How much he was YELLING at me b/c he thought he was going to have to deliver Abby in the car. Yes, I am serious.
When we walked into the emergency room, I could barely talk/check-in and just kept saying “I want an epidural” over & over. They told me I’d get one, but Greg saw that they were just trying to placate me! When they checked me, I was 7 cm and less than 45 minutes later I was 10 cm and ready to go. So yes, no time for an epidural – I just needed to get that baby out!! It was both the longest and most painful hour of my life, but, Baby Girl was born & was healthy and that was all we could ask for. Oh, and did I mention that the doctor didn’t even make it in time for the delivery!? Thank goodness for 2 wonderful nurses & my coach/hubby. Abby was surprisingly big for being so early...5 lbs 10 oz. And luckily, she didn’t have to spend any time in the NICU. We had a few minor issues with low body temperature & low blood sugar, but all in all, she was perfect (and still is)!
Looking back, it’s so fitting that Abby was born in the circumstances she was. She came shockingly early & fast, and with a lot of gusto! And to this day, that is still her personality! She is a spunky little thing and the perfect addition to our family.
Here’s a few pictures from her “birth” day:
I remember how big of a wreck I was on Nate’s first birthday…I cried for days and was so overwhelmed with sadness. I started talking about baby #2 because I just could not believe Nate was not my little baby anymore!
My, how things have changed...
I can honestly say I’m not really all that sad about Abby turning one. The biggest thing I’m feeling is just excitement, probably because this time around I know what’s ahead...all the fun stages like talking & walking, etc. Now don’t get me wrong, I am sad that Abby is coming out of the “baby” stage, and she is truly is going to be our last baby (sorry grandparents!), so I’ll never go through that all again. But you know, I’ve been through it twice, and come out with two unbelievable kids. I feel so blessed to have our little family of four.
Now, I’ve always heard that the second child does everything much sooner than the first one did. Which might still be the case, considering for example that Nate didn’t take his first steps until 14.5 months old, and we are still waiting on Abby’s as well. However, I LOVE the place that Abby’s at right now and am in NO hurry to have another “walker” in the house. Crawling, climbing, cruising is about all I can handle right now!
Here’s a stroll down memory lane, of Abby’s past year:
1 MONTH OLD:
3 MONTHS OLD:
6 MONTHS OLD:
9 MONTHS OLD:
12 MONTHS OLD: (This was her 1 year picture taken on Saturday and out of 120 frames, not ONE single one contained a smile. Stubborn little thing! I ended up buying this one pose, b/c she was trying to climb out of the chair and that is so her!)

Abby Reece, you light up my life & I thank God every day for my special baby girl. I love your silly faces, your crazy antenna pigtails, your toothy grin, your huge laughs with Nate, the mischievous glimmer in your eye, your fearlessness, your spirit, and hearing your sweet little voice saying “Momma.” I can’t wait to watch you grow over the years, and see the woman you become. I hope I can be at least half the mother that my mother has been to me. If so, I know that you will turn out alright! :)
Here’s a few more pics from Abby’s past month:

HAPPY 1st BIRTHDAY BABY GIRL!! WE LOVE YOU!!


7 comments:
Happy Birthday Abby!!! It's hard to believe that you have been here a year, but from your pictures, it's been one heck of a year. I love the Pink HD jacket! Stay cute kid!
Can't believe Abby is already ONE! Seems like just yesterday we were all anxiously awaiting the results of the gender ultrasound, for Pete's sake! Thanks, Em, for the birth story and pics through the months. Love it!! Happy birthday sweet Abby!!!
Happy Birthday Abby!:) Love your one year picture!
What a sweet little thing---Happy Birthday Abby! Em, I loved reading all your memories of her. She really does complete your family. Love you all-L
She has been and will continue to be fun to watch grow up. I THINK SHE WILL HAVE ALOT TO SAY AND TEACH US. BLESS THIS SWEET BABY GIRL. I love you... too much! Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday sweet Abby girl! We love you!
Em, I will never forget the priceless expression on Nate's face when he saw her! I'm so glad I could witness that pure big brother joy!
HAPPY Belated BIRTHDAY sweet girl!!! LOVE YOU
Post a Comment