We were amazed to hear from the NICU doctors that she was perfectly healthy!! Four weeks early and already a strong one. Of course we were happy to hear that news, but at the same time, I don't think it had sunk in yet for Greg and I that our DAUGHTER was here already. We thought we had a month more to prepare, so we were still in shock! We managed to call family & text a few friends though, who were equally as shocked (and happy)!
Since that time though, Abby has had a few minor issues...mostly concerning low blood sugar and low body temperature. Both common problems for 36-wk babies. Though she managed to stay out of the NICU, we were super concerned with all of her feedings. She was just too sleepy to stay awake & eat! But those calories were vital in getting her keep her temp up, etc. Poor little thing, she woke up a month early and just did NOT want to waste her time trying to nurse. We switched to finger feedings and bottle feedings late Tues/early Wed, and she has done well ever since. Which is why we were able to be discharged on Wednesday evening. Thank goodness!! My parents & Nate welcomed us home with open arms, and even threw a little birthday party for Abby, complete with party hats & a cake!
Our little Abby is sweet as can be...and loves to cuddle. Even in her 4 blankets, 2 hats, and 2 sleepers. She looks like a little burrito all bundled up! And she loves to purr when she's especially warm & cozy and being held. You've never heard a sweeter sound! She has beautiful lips & cheeks & long delicate fingers like Nate. She has his same nose too. One thing I especially love about her is her blonde hair!! Nate's was super dark, so we were quite shocked to see a strawberry-blonde. Love it though. Maybe she'll be the towhead we always wanted. Seeing her little bird legs (Greg calls them "skin & bones" makes me tear up, and the little funny faces she makes in her sleep melt your heart.
Nate has been a little shy with his baby sister so far, but has still managed to hold her & kiss her a few times each day. He sits on the couch/bed, holds his arms out, and says "Abby." And then after 30 seconds of holding her, he says "all done." It is precious! I know he will be a wonderful big brother in time. But for now, he's more interested in playing with Nana & Pops and running around outside.
I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to family, friends, and neighbors that have visited/called/emailed etc during this time. Our little girl is already so well-loved, and for that we are so grateful. We just ask that you keep her in your prayers, that her body temp continues to stay steady, and that she continues to feed well and gain weight. She had a great check-up at the doctor's today, so we are optimistic that she will be a feisty one in no time.


12 comments:
yeah Abby! Yeah Em!
and great pictures Greg. You did good, not as good as me, but good enough in a pinch!
I love her! Watching Nate hold her for the first time was priceless! He will be the best big brother! I hope you are ready for me to visit this weekend (Don't worry, I'll call first!) Have I mentioned how amazing you are to have handled her quick arrival!!!!
She's beautiful! Congratulations!!
Have I told you how proud I am of you? You're my hero!
Love the bday party pics! Cant WAIT to hold her again!
hey em, so happy for you guys! all the valenti's are here reading your post and we all say congrats! she's such a cutie :). way to rally without drugs, rockstar (ouch!).
I was reading I started tearing up!! So glad that she is here and healthy! Great pictures!
No epidural....I can't even imagine.
We are so grateful that all of you are doing GREAT.We love you and are thankful that Abby has joined our family. Love Aunt Molly, Shan and Great Grandma Givens
Em she is SOOO beautiful!! I am so happy for you guys and glad Abby is doing well!
YAY!!! Congrats! Abby is perfect and so gorgeous. Great pics!
She is so cute...she looks Greg to me! And your hair looks so good in the hospital pictures--love that story! :) XOXO, L
So proud of you Em! No just for going without an epidural which is huge enough but just the way you handled the early arrival and having a newborn and an energetic two year old. Mother of the year for sure! Abby is adorable OF COURSE - I can't wait to meet her in person. The picture of Nate holding her at the hospital with Greg is on my computer now - it is so cute I don't want to change it :)
CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting!! She is precious!! Believe it or not, she's bigger than Hayden was when she was born 4 weeks early!! We are wishing you the best!!
Post a Comment