Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What is going on???

Today has been yet another frustrating day. I thought I had my act together, and could handle two toddlers. But after last week's day from h*ll, and today's events, I'm not so sure.

Incident #1 -
After dropping Nate off at MDO, Greg and I took Abby for her 18 month pictures. He can make her laugh better than I can, so we thought with her favorite clown there, all would be fine. WRONG. She was fine playing with legos for 20 min but when it was time to put on her pretty sundress (in 50 degree weather - such a beautiful day today) and smile for the photographer, the meltdowns began. The photographer didn't even get to shoot a frame. We tried multiple positions, props to make her laugh, lots of breaks for hugs, etc. Nothing worked. After 15 minutes, we decided to call it quits.

Incident #2 -
Apparently I am a glutton for punishment and decided to go back for a 2nd try on the pics. This time, Nate came along as the entertainment. Again, EPIC FAIL. Same thing...wouldn't let go of me, wouldn't stop crying, wouldn't cooperate at all. We even started out having Nate take a few pics first, so Abby could see it was fun/easy. Yeah, she saw through that one. I called it quits again after 10 min, and tried to calmly put her regular clothes back on. Two other mothers there commented on how "difficult" girls can be. I couldn't agree more. When we got in the car, Nate said to Abby: "When we go back there, you better smile!" I got news for ya, we won't be going back for awhile.

Incident #3 -
So then we headed to Target for a quick return. Anyone whose been in our Target knows the layout...immediately as you walk in, to the right, is the customer service/returns area. No carts there, so I just let the kids run around for a sec. Not a good idea. One minute into the return I hear Nate let out a blood-curdling scream. I turn around to see him on the ground with a heavy metal post on his head. FREAK OUT CENTRAL. You know the set-up to control lines....two 3-ft posts strung together by a chain or something. Well, Nate pulled on the chain and the post fell on the side of his head, right above his ear. The cashier starts freaking out (maybe she thought I was going to sue?!) and runs to get an ice pack, icee & special straw. And the other cashier has to run out b/c Abby takes this opportune moment to run thru the automatic doors almost out to the parking lot. Can this day get any worse!?

Luckily - I think - Nate is ok. Just a major bruise on his head and a bad headache. But what is going on these days....it's like I can't control my kids anymore? I think about the lady on my street with 11 kids (no I am not kidding). How in the WORLD!?

Please commiserate with me and tell me your stories about a time where you felt like the worst mother in the world. B/c right now, I think I'm in first place...

13 comments:

shishismom said...

I can't really commiserate since I actually have no children of my own, but I can assure you that you are truly a wonderful mother. My father fell down and entire flight of stairs with me when I was only about 6 months old, and when I was 8 I fell out of a tree and put a gapping hole in my leg with both my parents at least 10 miles away in opposite directions with no telephone in between. The lady I was spending the day with had no car and flagged down someone and fed me pretzels in route to the hospital..And I'm still here!!!Hang in there!! AUNT MOLLY

Hallie Madewell said...

OMG what a day.

Do not doubt yourself you are a WONDERFUL MOTHER! Crap happens unforutanately. Hang in there, Im next in line with my experiences with 2. I love ya :)

The Overstreets said...

Well, let's see. My most recent "mom of the year moment" was at the library with W. He had started acting up, so it was time for us to checkout ASAP. As we were standing in line holding hands, he started having a meltdown and trying to climb up my leg. When he wouldn't stop, I let go of his hand, thinking he would plop down on his bottom, but instead he fell back and hit his head on the concrete floor. Feel better now? :)

mary leigh said...

Pluh-lease.... mom of the year here... let's see so far this week...
1. I forgot it was pj day at school. Bates was the only one in not pjs.
2. He ate three peanut butter cookies for breakfast this morning.
3. Poop all over the bathroom rug, while I was trying to get ready for work.
4. Lied to him, on purpose.

And it's only Tuesday, and I only have one.

And by the way, I'm SO glad Mr. Perfect Nate is helping Abs give you a run for your money!

Ashley said...

Ok just today...Noah had TWO accidents while we were out. First one at Chick-fil-a. Should have left immediately to teach him a lesson, but no decided to stay and borrow both purple panties and waay too small capri pants from a little girl that was with us. On the way home accident number two! Remind me..wasn't he potty trained in January! Sorry your day was horrible...I guess it just comes with the job sometimes.....

Becky said...

OMG you are the best mom ever!!! Just remember all the TERRIBLE things I did as a child that mom could not control. People probably thought she was mom of the year with my behavior but she couldn't help my craziness.

Lora said...

No way you are in first place. Every time I go to Target and see rugrats out of control I think about you and how my perfect nephew and niece would never dare to act like that! Nate's head is hard I am sure and there won't be any last damage - remember I fractured my skull and turned out ok :) As for Miss Priss - she's got a mind of her own. Something we will all appreciate once she's older but the growing up part might be a tad difficult. I don't know how you deal with 2 toddlers every day Em - I wouldn't give up my work stress for yours any day! Love you sis :)

Emily G. said...

thank you all for your sweet words and hilarious stories! (seriously ash - I am DYING laughing about the purple panties for noah!!)

Allyson said...

Aw, mercy. Well, here's a mother of the year moment for you: we're at DC and Blake is trying climb up into his stroller. I pull him back down a few times, but then close the bar across the seat part and decide he can stand on the lower footrest. Bad idea. He falls backward (which I see coming), so I hold on to his arm, thinking he'll kind of ease back to the ground. Nope. He hits the ground on his bottom, but then keeps right on going and I just sit there, horrified. He falls all the way backward and smacks the back of his head on the concrete floor. (Right in front of an elderly grandmother type who is probably as horrified as I am....) So we end up doing the final song of Parents and Tots with him wailing uncontrollably in the background. Also--Tessa now has NOTHING in her room except the furniture, due to her behavior. Somedays I think it's just me. Somedays I think it's the kids. Somedays I think God is reminding me that I did pray for patience...and now He's letting me work for it. Hang in there, Em. You are a wonderful mom!!!!

Leah said...

What a day. I am so sorry.

I can't think of one bad thing right now, but lately Colin has been very defiant. Everything is ""no." All the time. I never want to hear that word again.

Oh wait...he didn't want to stay in the nursery sunday at church and actually started hitting the nursery worker. That was embarrassing. I think it was a frustrated "let me down" swat at her. But the fact that she said he was hitting at her made me want to run home and never go back. There you go. I am consulting my toddler books this week about that.

Bawa Bears said...

em! please, you are the best mom.

dan and jill took the kids to get pictures at xmas, and luke is in none of them.

i'm sure i'll have stories to come. i'm questioning having 2 kids at all - i'm so exhausted with one (and not even a toddler, so she can't move. but we don't sleep well, so that will make you crazy too!).

deep breaths, tomorrow will be better :).

Proud Parents said...

Sorry for the poopie day. It is a good thing they are so darn cute, you cannot hardly stay mad at them! :)

This Week:
I do not know where to begin with my two. I will say Kate is currently more challenging than Max!

A few proud :) moments from the past week...

-Peter told his Mom, after the day at the zoo, they were finishing a cage for Kate...

- Kate was annoying Max and he bit her.

- Both decided they did not like dinner, so they screamed for 15 minutes and flung around like wild animals, and then they decided to eat.

- Max dove out of his crib (I ordered their beds that day).

- Kate laid in the middle of the sidewalk because she could not ride in the neighbor’s toy car. After I walked away, she ran ahead of me only to lie down again and continue her tantrum...

- Both got up at 3am proclaiming they NEEDED milk.

Yes, it is crazy town here! :)
:)

Edie said...

We've all been there, done that! :)

Today I realized I planned mine and Hayden's trip to SF to visit my sister ON the day of her dance recital. Which means, the dance recital she's been planning on ALL YEAR, won't be happening.

And, how about this picture from our vacation?

https://picasaweb.google.com/edie.cagle/Disney2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCNGovvintpSK2QE#5604527574874085602

Talk about mom of the year award! :)